Navigation

Sunday 25 January 2015

Two of a kind....

It's no secret that I love nail polish. My collection is sitting at about 104 bottles (the last time I counted) and there was bound to be a day when I would purchase two of the same colour. Little did I know it would be from two different brands. And to make matters worse, I love them equally.

Let's bring in the said nail polishes



So on the left we have Morgan Taylor's - Water Baby. On the right we have Sorbet's - Vanilla Ice.

I first bought Water Baby in November of 2014 and I picked up Vanilla Ice in the end of December 2014. It took be about two weeks to click that I had basically bought the same polish, but with that, a scientific experiment was born....*puts on evil scientist hat*

I decided I was going to give these two an equal shot to state their case. I painted one nail with each colour and rocked that look for a full week.

I didn't put any base coats on or any top coat, this is the rough and tumble testing Luna Lacey style ;)


Needless to say, my clients thought I was crazy, but hey, it's all in the name of beauty. You're probably thinking why haven't I set this post up as a "Splurge vs Steal" kind of post, well this is where I will present my first facto to you.

Price

Sorbet - Vanilla Ice retails for R 90.
Morgan Taylor - Water baby retails for R 110.
So with a R 20 difference, it all depends on your preference or if you would like to buy a chocolate or not :)

Formula

My second facto to present to you is the difference is formula. Both have a formula that lasts for an extended period of time, between 3-5 days (without a base or top coat). With a base and top coat they go as long as a week. However, with both polishes I have a little application issue. I don't know if it's just me and I need more time to get used to the application, but this is what I found.

Water Baby has a tendency to be streaky when applying.
Vanilla Ice has a tendency to be patchy when you apply it. I tested both after two coats (I'm a two coat girl).


As you can see, two coats doesn't cut it with either of the brands, so three it is. Once the have dried, Water Baby has a very very slight chalkish (is that a word?) finish. What I do love about Vanilla Ice is that it has more of a gelish look to it when it dries

Availability

Many of us live extremely busy lives, so when something is easily accessible, we are more likely to purchase that product than a scavenger hunt search for a product. I'm talking drug store availability now, I know that quite a few salons carry both products. Currently Morgan Taylor is only available at selected Dischem stores, where as Sorbet polishes are available at Clicks stores nation wide.

Colour Longevity

This for me is a deal breaker, up there with a chip on the first day, I hate it when a colour changes over a period of time. You start the week with pale pink nails and end it off with grey nails, not cool! Both of these products have a colour longevity that I would write home about, or a blog post ;) The colour doesn't fade or change (I was dishes daily), it's as baby blue on the 5th day as it is on the 1st.

Now that I've given you the run down on these two blue hues, I can honestly say I don't know which one I would choose for the rest of my life. I love them both, its probably my love for the shade. But as time goes on and I have the chance to extend my research, who knows who would come out on top. I do notice that I lean more towards Vanilla Ice as I prefer the finish, but I did fall in love with Water Baby first, oh the love triangle that has formed :)

I'd love to hear if you have tried either of these brands and what you feel about them, so leave me a little comment and maybe you can help a sister out!

Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment